MI Safer Sports information testing at Spartan Dance & Fit Center
Michigan Mandated Testing for participation
To support our dancers, ninjas, their families, and our community, SDFC will be offering FREE rapid antigen testing to all dancers, ninjas, and staff 13 and older. Testing will be done weekly at Spartan & Dance and Fit Center. Dancers on our competitive team may need an additional test 24 hours before competition. Without participating in testing, your athlete, under MI rules, will not be able to take class, practice or compete. Click on links below for further information.
Updated April 9, 2021
When does testing begin & What to do?
The start date for mandatory testing is: April 2, 2021
* Understanding that Spartan Dance & Fit Center will be closed for spring break, SDFC will begin testing on Monday, April 12, 2021
1. Dancer/Ninja should arrive to 15-20 minutes before their first class of the day.
2. If it not possible for your dancer to arrive 15-20 minutes early to class, please text "testing" to 517-225-0096
Who is required and why?
Due to the increased number of COVID-19, MI Safer Sports has put a plan into place to keep our community safe.
- All individuals ages 13 – 19 participating in contact and non-contact athletic activities must test for SARS-CoV-2 on a weekly basis.
- In addition to testing all dancers/ninja's participating, SDFC will be testing all staff who comes in contact with your child.
Which rapid test is used?
Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid Antigen Test
Spartan Dance & Fit Center is working through MI Safer Sports who will be providing Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid Antigen Test. This is FDA approved for quick test results in 15 minutes.
Who will administer the rapid test?
The short answer to this question is that the Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid Antigen Test a SELF ADMINISTERED swab test.
- Both Tiffany & Shawn have taken the appropriate requirements to be certified to read, administer and guide participants through the rapid testing.
- Education took place from MDHHS Bureau of Laboratories from Marty Soehnlen, PhD, MPH, PHLD(ABB)
How did SDFC become certified to test?
Spartan Dance & Fit Center has submitted their application for a CIAL certificate of waiver. A Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Certificate of Waiver (CoW) is a certification that allows a facility to legally examine a person through waived tests in order to assess health, diagnosis or determine treatment. The antigen tests provided by MDHHS require any facility that is administering these tests to obtain a CLIA waiver in order to legally perform the test. Under the current pandemic, A non-certified facility will be treated as operating under CoW while their application is being processed.
Where are these results recorded?
Spartan Dance & Fit Center will be following the MI Safer Sport Antigen test reporting site to privately enter all participants who receive the antigen test through our studio. Each participate will be assigned a identification number to be entered weekly into the Michigan reporting site. Your dancer/Ninja will be provided a number for the weekly testing.
What happens with a positive test?
Dancers, Ninjas or Staff who test positive with an antigen test should isolate immediately and obtain a RT-PCR test within 48 hours. Unless the athlete/staff tests negative on a RT-PCR test within a 48 hour period from the original positive antigen test, they must isolate and may not return to team play or practices for the duration of their infectious period as determined by current CDC guidance.
What will the test look like?
SDFC Staff will guide you through the process of collecting samples and the testing process.
1. After temperature is taken, participant will enter the testing room.
2. Each participant will be asked to sanitize hands.
3. Each participant will share their personal identification code with staff
4. Each participant will be handed a swab to collect the sample themselves.
5. Each participant will insert the nasal swab in one nostril 3/4 of an inch
6. Each participant will rotate the swab in a circular motion along the inside of the nostril for 15 seconds.
7. Each participant will remove the swab and insert in the other nostril and repeating the above steps.
8. Each participant will hand the swab to SDFC staff and replace their mask.
9. Each participant will either leave the studio (if testing before class time) or remain in the socially distanced hall for their test results.
Please refer to the videos below for examples of self administered, non-invasive nasal swab test. Please keep in mind that the test we will be using differs slightly from the videos below. Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid test requires 15 seconds in each lower nostril region before being applied to the test slide. Test results will be confirmed after 15 minutes.
What forms need to be turned in?
A two page documents will need to be turned in to Spartan Dance & Fit Center by Thursday, April 1, 2021. Documents must be signed by a parent/guardian.
Test Results App (optional)
How can I get my athletes test results?
Navica is an app that works with the Abbott BinaxNOW to deliver you test results right to your dancers phone. The app is available for anyone 12+. Test results will remain with a private QR Code for your athlete, after logging in, they have access to all test they have taken with the date, time and results. For those of you interested, it is simple to set up and simple for your athlete to use!
What do I need to do?
1. Download the Navica App on your dancers cell phone
2. Create an account on your athletes phone using your athletes information.
How it works?
1. When your athlete arrives for testing, they will long into their Navica app.
2. Athlete will show staff their personal QR code
3. Staff will scan their QR code and then scan the QR code on their personal test
4. Once the test results are shown, the results will be shown on their app